Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Date with the DOC

Before you jump to conclusions, let me clarify this 'date' was an impromptu appointment with my "family" doctor. I've found it interesting that only we Indians use the word "family" doctor. According to the unwritten dictionary of oft used indian-english words, "family doctor" is one who's been associated with treating one or more generations of your family as a general physician.

This FD(i.e Family Doctor from now on) is an interesting chap. He's totally bald, has rashes all over his head, has a gleaming smile, hasn't increased his fee for the past 15 years and can treat almost every ailment with the same set of medicines prescribed in different combinations. So, when I was down with a cold, I used his prescription which I had obtained the previous time I had the same symptoms and self-doctored myself.

Being the idiot I was, it didn't work. I didn't have a sore throat but ended up taking pills for that. 5 days of eating anti-biotics has only cleard a blocked nose. My throat has become worse, my senses of smell and taste are totally screwed up. I HAD no other option but to pay my FD a visit.

To describe his clinic is pretty easy. According to folklore, his clinic has remained the same over the past 30 years. He has a small 15 X 15 ft room for attending to his patients. A 5 X 5 ft waiting room with a seating capacity of 7 people. This doc can get pretty annoying for waiting patients as he talks a lot about the "family" of the patient he attends to. So, the season of cold,cough & fever like rite now, he may make you wait for 45 mins. For entertainment during this time, we have magazines like Outlook, The Week dating back to 1999 lying on a chair. Think his neighbours dump old books in his clinic.

After an agonizing wait, I finally got to him. He took 2 mins to check my pulse, heartbeat and general stuff like that. He took his pad, scribbeld some pills for me to take for 5 days. I doubted if he's presribing the same pills as I had taken earlier. As usual he was asking me about my family and whether I'm placed etc, etc. Once I got out of the clinic I headed to the pharmacy to check if I'm gonna be taking the same pills again.

Bingo!! 2/3 pills he prescribed, I'm aldready taking them. A new pill which he gave frekking cost 124 bucks for 5 days dosage. Damn!!! Should've gone with my dad's advice. "Always go to a doc once you get cold, cough or fever. If you go after you've done self medication, whatever medicine he gives you, its gonna cure. You're gonna end up wasting money and prolonging your illenss!"

P.S : Always go by your dad's advice on when to visit a doc, when to stop dosage n when he says "Don't drink cold drinks, this is the season of cold". If only I had listened. Sigh!!

1 comment:

  1. the glue tat binfs every typical indian fly :
    a diety ,
    a house in the village ,
    and a fly doctor !!

    ReplyDelete