Saturday, February 06, 2010

SEO

Its been a while since I posted anything. I've been doing some SEO (search engine optimization) on this blog. I've noticed Google has some cool tools which I didn't know existed. Feedburner was taken over by Google a while back, and I never bothered to check out the new feedburner. I was amazed at all the tools available now to optimize the hits that come to my blog.

I've also got my school website up. Embedding Picasa and Youtube channels was so easy, I feel that a whole bunch of new web designers would hardly bother to learn the code behind the embedding. I guess that is the idea, that any body can design websites. Throw in some CSS and a bunch of 'Embedded' code, make a couple of banners and you have a dashing website. Sadly, I feel like I'm getting old in the 'game'.

I think its something everybody goes through. You see technology moving so fast that you gotta start keeping up with it. 10 years back, when I had some sites up or 6 years back when I started blogging, I learnt everything the tough way. Nowdays, there are tons of websites to make your life easier. Its a welcome change, but I feel it dumbs down 'self-taught' web designers. To really master the technology behind great websites or web services, it has become essential to learn it in school. Back in 2003, when blogger was just bought by Google, the phenomenon that was AJAX was in its infancy. Now, its all over blogger.

Interesting how time flies. In a couple of months, I'll turn 25. The shades of grey haven't set in as yet, but in terms of 'tech years', its frightening to keep abreast of all the things happening online. My statcounter shows a steady increase in my hits in the last 4 months. Most of them through the 'Next blog' feature on blogger. My guess is that blogging, tweeting and the general reach of computers, mobile phones and internet tv are just starting to go mainstream. In many ways, I see a link in the 'anybody can build a website' analogy to 'anybody can blog' meme. Which is a good thing. The more, the merrier.

P.S: Feedburner is a great place to learn a bunch of stuff on SEO for your blog / website.

2 comments: