Friday, December 16, 2005

Why the F?

Ok. I know this is a touchy issue to talk about. So lets talk about it. WHY DO WE HAVE CENSORSHIP?

I really dont understand "freedom" can have limitations. If India is a free country, then I'm a free guy. If I'm at fault for expressing myself, and get pushed around for that, I'm not a free guy.

A lot of "guardians" of free speech lurk around the corners of this "society" trying to malign those people who "malign" Indian culture or some crap like that. See, I was brought up in the Gen X. The kinda guys who take to Rap as much as we take to Rahman's music. Or who eat thair-sadam n also fast food. We dont care about who these "guardians" are. We like to freak out n do crazy things so we can break from the stereotyped "Indian Male". Times change, influences change, but India will remain etched in our souls. If we are true Indians n want to promote Freedom of Speech, make more people talk about it.
Matter of fact, Freedom must not have LIMITS. Thats why I strongly belive India is not a free country.
I have my own reasons
1) We still censor n edit things in public life instead of restricting the reach. Eg movies, music. what ever happened to Explicit or PA or MA in these? Total ban of a movie coz its content didnt please 5 people in a censor board??? Damn!
2)Who are we to decide who should watch or hear stuff? Ultimately, the layman like me is kinda deprived of seeing or hearing what I WILLINGLY want to.
3)Without actually taking off censorship, how can we say it affects the young people? We just shying away from removing it because we have a mental block that these things will degrade society. wateva...
4)I need not explain more after this point coz its just clear. Take Gandhi. The person who got us freedom. The same so called Freedom we have now. Ok. One of the interpretations of the three-monkey thing(thrimoorthi if i'm right) is "See no bad things, hear no bad things, talk no bad things". Who decides what is BAD? To each his own. Thats what we need. I, as a free citizen decide what I wanna say, what I wanna hear and what I wanna see. Unless that is possible, I'm not cheerful in celebrating an Indepenece Day which is supposed to mark me being LIBERATED.

Being a rap soldier, I really wanted to vent my anger on these so called "protectors of freedom". So, I've written a song called "Why the F?". I dont care if it doesnt create waves or if I make money out of it. I'm doing it coz I want to do it n dont give a shit of what ppl got to say abt it. I'm breaking barriers in Indian music with this song which has the most F word occurences. So go ahead n see the lyrics, d/l the song if u want from Illusions
Peace..

No comments:

Post a Comment